Did you know security systems can reduce homeowner’s insurance?
Many insurance agencies offer discounts to customers with active monitoring systems. Some insurance carriers offer even greater discounts to customers with specific monitoring companies. With two million burglaries occurring each year in the United States, insurance agencies understand the risks at hand for every home owner.
According to SafeGuard The World, homes without home monitoring systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into. Currently, State Farm offers up to 10 percent reduction on homeowners insurance and 15 percent off renters insurance when customers install the ADT Pulse security system. State Farm offers other discounts to customers with various security systems, however, the greatest discount is offered with the ADT Pulse.
With ADT Pulse you get:
- Burglary and Fire Monitoring
- Remote Arm/Disarm
- Remote door lock/unlock, including your garage door
- Monitored Water/Flood Sensors
- Remote Video Monitoring
- Ability to automate lights and door locks to make life more convenient for loved ones
- Ability to schedule thermostat, leverage connected outlets and more to help save on energy costs
State Farm is not the only agency that offers discounts for home security systems. Many insurance agencies offer discounts to customers with active monitoring systems. Some insurance carriers offer even greater discounts to customers with specific monitoring companies. With two million burglaries occurring each year in the United States, insurance agencies understand the risks at hand for every home owner.
According to SafeGuard The World, homes without home monitoring systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into. Insurance companies have experienced these staggering statistics play out first hand over the years and according to Rutgers University School of Criminal Justice many companies have decided to put their money where their mouths are. Their recent study revealed that in the U.S. some of the largest insurance companies offer discounts up to 20 percent off insurance premiums when homes are equipped with monitoring alarm systems.
Insurance agencies are continuously studying their customers and evolving their policies to better protect their customers. On average a policyholder can save up to 20 percent off homeowners and renters insurance with home security systems, however, many of the plans vary depending on specific features of the home monitoring plans.
Nationwide, StateFarm, All State, Travelers, Met Life, USAA, Liberty Mutual, American Family and Hartford are insurance agencies that currently offer various discounts for home security systems largely depending on location.
- Nationwide: grants up to 15% discount depending on the various inclusions of smoke detectors, fire alarms, burglary alarms, as well as a few other qualifying devices.
- State Farm: largely depends on state and agent. Known to grant up to 20% discount, however 10% is more typical.
- All State: grants up to 15% discount off premium if the home has protection against fire and theft.
- Travelers: discount not specified generically, however, discounts are granted to some extent when homes include smoke detectors, interior sprinkler systems, and home security systems.
- MetLife: discounts vary by state and systems *USAA: discounts vary, however, USAA grants additional discounts for ADT or Protection 1 systems.( Make sure you ask your My Utilities agent about ADT and Protection 1)
- Liberty Mutual: Discounts vary so check with your agent.
- American Family Insurance: offers 3-20% discount when home has fire and smoke alarms, security, and/or automatic sprinkler systems.
- Hartford: discounts up to 20% off when home has the combination of burglar and fire alarms in home. Dead-bolt locks and smoke detectors also spark interest with Hartford insurers. Hartford provides for AARP so be sure to ask your agent what discounts you qualify for.
The Insurance providers above are not the only providers who offer discounts. With that being said, some agencies actually offer greater discounts depending on which systems you chose. Always check with your home insurance agent to make sure you can activate a discount with your system. Regardless if your insurance provider offers a discount or not, the team at My Utilities believes strongly that home security systems are worth it to beat the odds.